You are here
Whether you are a long term subscriber or a first time visitor, this information can assist you in planning your visit to Meany Center. Meany Hall hosts Meany Center Visiting Artist Series events as well as UW academic, community and campus events.
The following information addresses the Visiting Artist Series. We encourage you to reference any specific event information you may have received for other programs.
Arriving at the Theater
The lobby and our on-site Box Offices will open one hour prior to the performance.
Out of respect for the artists and seated patrons, late seating to Meany Center events may be limited and is not guaranteed. Late arrivals will be escorted into the theater at appropriate intervals, to be determined by the artists and house management.
Wondering what to wear? Please dress however you feel most comfortable for a night at the theater. Almost anything is acceptable, from jeans to gowns. Meany does not have a coat or bag check on site; please plan accordingly.
Watching a Performance
For patron comfort, earplugs are available from our usher team. Booster cushions are available in the lobby of the Katharyn Alvord Gerlich Theater only.
Please turn off all cell phones, cameras and other electronic devices before performances. Because of contractual obligations with our artists, the use of photographic recording equipment is prohibited. Flash cameras can be disruptive and dangerous to some artists.
Food and beverages are not allowed in the seating areas of our theaters. The only exception is water in a closed bottle. In our lobbies you may enjoy food and beverage, including those purchased from Meany’s concessions. Outside alcohol is not permitted in the Meany lobbies.
Large items, including instruments, skateboards, large bags or other egress hazards are not allowed in the seating area.
Information on the length and details of your performance can be found on the event webpage, in your Upcoming Performance Reminder, or by asking our usher team.
Admission of Children
Children five years of age or older are welcome at all Meany Center performances. Children under five will not be admitted. A ticket is required for admission. Please contact the ArtsUW Ticket Office (206-543-4880) if you have questions about show content.
General Venue Policies
Please note, by purchasing a ticket or entering our environment, you agree to the tenets and policies of Meany Center’s Patron Code of Conduct.
Lost and Found: Please contact the House Manager immediately following the performance regarding any lost items or contact our Front of House staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. Response time may be up to two business days.
Smoking Policy: Smoking and vaping are not permitted on the University of Washington campus, unless in designated areas.
Fragrances: In consideration of patrons with scent allergies, please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne or scented lotions to a performance.
The following items are not permitted to be brought in to any of our venues:
- Aerosol cans.
- Alcohol that is not purchased through Meany Hall concessions.
- Animals/pets (except service animals).
- Cans & bottles, except for those clearly containing only water. Staff may ask to verify. We ask that glass containers are not brought into the theater.
- Firearms or other weapons and instruments (does not apply to pepper spray) are not permitted on UW campus without prior written approval by the UW Police Department.
- Illegal drugs and/or paraphernalia.
- Laser pens and pointers.
- Noisemaking devices: whistles, air horns, etc.
- Pamphlets, fliers, handbills (unless previously approved).
- Photography equipment, unless explicitly approved from the stage or previously approved by House Management. Note: tripods, monopods and similar devices are not permitted in the seating area.
- Signs, banners, flags, etc.
- Skateboards, rollerblades or other similar items are not allowed in the seating area.
- Any other item deemed inappropriate by the House Manager and/or Theater Management-at-large.